Is Communication Instinctive?

Routine non-emergency questions for moderators, vets, rehabbers and members to answers.
Jill
Is Communication Instinctive?

Post by Jill » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:29 am

Hello,
I am new here. I did not find this topic through search here or Google. I was wondering if a released baby squirrel would instinctively know how to communicate with other squirrels. Thanks

Black Squirrel
Site Admin

Re: Is Communication Instinctive?

Post by Black Squirrel » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:22 pm

Good question Jill. Rehabber's will generally agree that baby squirrels should always be raised together. Some communication skills are instinctual and others are learned by interaction with adults and siblings. Raising a baby alone should not be a limiting factor when it comes to release. Other factors that are important are allowing the baby to self-wean, releasing at the proper time of year, and proper release technique. Not following proper technique can be more deleterious to survival upon release than raising a single squirrel. Some singles will not want to be released and prefer to stay "home" with their human families. Others are just plain ready to go and will learn any necessary communication skills when interacting with peers in the wild. When they are young these skills are learned more easily than with an older release. A squirrel that has been in captivity for 5 years with humans will not do well in the wild.

Hope this helps! If you post any follow up questions I will ask Skippy an experienced rehabber to chime in.

Black Squirrel

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:57 pm

I’ve released a couple of squirrels at age 3. They had a LONG time acclimating in a safe release cage—or in one case a room with a portal the squirrel could go in and out of. Most squirrels WANT to be out. I generally release at 14/16 weeks. A singleton should have more time acclimating in a large pre release environment than a group. I’ve had squirrels bugger out at 12/13 weeks. If they had their druthers they would have been gone at 8. Then there are squirrels you can’t toss out the door. Squirrels are individuals. Take care to acclimate, release in a safe location, release at a time of year a squirrel can find a home, build a stash, establish a territory. Good to provide food for released squirrels. I provide goodies for all my guys—and water. Likely when released he will still visit as squirrels are smart and know where the good stuff is. That being said—once a squirrel is released he’s a free agent and can take off never to be seen again.
As you do to the least of these, so you do unto me

Jill

Post by Jill » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:06 pm

Thank you!