MBD diet question

Routine non-emergency questions for moderators, vets, rehabbers and members to answers.
winniesmom77
MBD diet question

Post by winniesmom77 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:11 pm

If a 5 yr old female squirrel has MBD besides extra calcium and vitamin D from sun or full spectrum bulb do they need any other extras like extra vitamin C or anything?
Right now I'm feeding mine fox valley 20 50 four times a day about 5cc each syringe feeding with her daily dose of calcium broken down between the 4 feedings because she still will not eat on her own ANYTHING and just sleeps.
Is there anything else I should be giving her?
Ps. This is her 9th day not wanting to eat only sleep
She has been on the extra calcium and 1hr sun or light
For 5 days now.
She is getting 500g of extra calcium a day and she weighs 714.0 G

Black Squirrel
Site Admin

Re: MBD diet question

Post by Black Squirrel » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:38 pm

MBD is a long and painful recovery. She may not feel up to solid food and developing MBD as a picky eater does not help. Skippy has a recipe for soft boo balls, hopefully she will post the recipe on here. You may want to try a Teklad 2018 block soaked in water and get some into her mouth with a tiny spoon. There will probably be more on her face but the more you can get her to eat the better. Teklad blocks are a balanced diet same as Henry's Healthy Blocks (HHB's), but they can be turned into liquid mush easier than HHB's. Make sure she stays hydrated too!

Teklad source: https://smallpetstore.com/shop/ols/prod ... -2014-9lbs

winniesmom77

Post by winniesmom77 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:49 pm

Thank you for the information Black squirrel
I ordered the teklad 2018 it should be here by the 8th.
I have a still held off on her fox valley today in Hope's she will become hungry and eat her Hhb by tomorrow
I am still giving her the calcium and water through out the day. How many days should I hold off on syringe feeding her if she still wont eat?

Black Squirrel wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:38 pm
MBD is a long and painful recovery. She may not feel up to solid food and developing MBD as a picky eater does not help. Skippy has a recipe for soft boo balls, hopefully she will post the recipe on here. You may want to try a Teklad 2018 block soaked in water and get some into her mouth with a tiny spoon. There will probably be more on her face but the more you can get her to eat the better. Teklad blocks are a balanced diet same as Henry's Healthy Blocks (HHB's), but they can be turned into liquid mush easier than HHB's. Make sure she stays hydrated too!

Teklad source: https://smallpetstore.com/shop/ols/prod ... -2014-9lbs

Black Squirrel
Site Admin

Post by Black Squirrel » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:17 am

This is from Dr. Anne Hiss's guide to MBD:

Professionally formulated milk replacers have vitamin D in them, but as the animal is weaning they are receiving less and less of this vital nutrient so 20 minutes of full sun a day is recommended, or all spectrum or full spectrum bulbs can be used if the former is not possible. Because the formula we feed is balanced with *all* the vitamins necessary, the weaning diet is critical

As you see formula is a good source of Vitamin D and Calcium. It's important to get him to eat his healthy blocks but I would still supplement him with formula for a while. It's a real balancing act with these guys.

winniesmom77

Post by winniesmom77 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:10 pm

Does teklad 2018 provide everything they need? Still offering fresh veggies but if I only fed teklad would that be balanced?
I am making booballs now using teklad and it seems to be a big hit they like them but I was wondering about vitamins calcium and D .