An unexpected bond

Tell us about your squirrel(s) and experience. Please share photos - we LOVE photos!
TamG13
An unexpected bond

Post by TamG13 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:56 pm

We found a baby squirrel, dragging itself across the sidewalk toward a tree, and unsuccessfully try to climb it. I was hoping we could find a vet to help with the clearly evident broken arm and then release the little cutie back out to his tree, once he was capable of climbing up out of the coyote path. (We have a lot of coyotes where we live...)
I quickly learned that there was no veterinary help to be had for this particular little guy. (Apparently he lost the genetic lottery, so OBVIOUSLY he should be put down over a broken bone... wait, what????)
Add to that, my utter lack of squirrel nutritional knowledge, and the TERRIBLE advice found on other websites.... after 48 hours of feeding him Pedialyte through a plastic syringe (nope... couldn't even find a nipple! Not for lack of trying....) someone finally offered some hope. Squirrel Forum!
I received only 1 response to the dozens of requests I filled out on websites and the countless calls to rehabilitation centers! Not ONE other response!
Finally having guidance and getting formula in his system (at this point it was nearly 3 days. He was doing nothing but sleep, and I was sincerely starting to question my logic... maybe I should have let him be put down. That has got to be better than dying of starvation!!!!) he starts to respond and move around!
A nurse friend of mine offers to set his leg in a splint. Fast forward almost a month (comprised of many sleep deprived nights) and as much as I was dead set on NEVER having a dependent animal in the family, ever again... the trust that this brave (yet, skittish) little squirrel has placed in me and the adoration he timidly shows, has melted my (apparently little) heart.
I'm saddened that he will never be able to jump from tree to tree like I know he wants to. His little arm just will never be strong enough. But... I'm so happy he happened to be on that particular sidewalk at that particular time. And I'm honored that he has trusted me to help. (And, after having cats my whole life.... I'm really digging the velvety soft kisses!!!) 🙂
https://postimg.cc/gallery/BQLn16y

winniesmom77

Re: An unexpected bond

Post by winniesmom77 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:44 am

I'm so happy you found each other. ❤❤❤