Southern Flying Squirrel Age (Visual) Guide!

Expert information for care of neo-natals and squirrels under 5 weeks old.
Flyer_Servant
Southern Flying Squirrel Age (Visual) Guide!

Post by Flyer_Servant » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:19 pm

While watching Mina's four babies grow up these past 3 months, I figured it could be useful to compile a visual guide of sorts as to how her babies looked as they grew! I know it can be a bit tricky discerning a baby flyer's age, so hopefully this can help some, without only relying on weight (which can sometimes be unreliable in the case of an orphan coming in super dehydrated and hasn't eaten in a few days!)

Unfortunately, since I didn't really think about this until recently, I didn't take exact note of other age markers such as exactly when the bottom teeth first erupted or when the top ones started coming in; so this is just a rough guide at best, and at worse, just a cute compilation of baby flyer pics! Win-win, right? :D

If you want the full size version of this image, I have a Google Drive folder with it in there along with the resized one for easy download :D

(Also, to the mods, feel free to move this post if another category would be a better fit! I was kinda torn between Baby Squirrels and Squirrel Care!)

Black Squirrel
Site Admin

Re: Southern Flying Squirrel Age (Visual) Guide!

Post by Black Squirrel » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:17 am

This is GREAT info! Thanks for posting on the Squirrel Forum. Our page is growing and we have a good relationship with the NFSA including a link to their board. Flyers are adorable!